Do you want to put a smile on someone's face? Maybe make their day a little bit brighter? It doesn't have to take much time or money on your part. In fact, many things can be done as a part of your normal routine and cost little or nothing at all. You won't know how many people are encouraged by your kindness because smiles are contagious.
Try out one or more of these 7 ways today to put smiles on their faces.
1. WRITE A NOTE Write an encouraging note to others that have encouraged you or that need encouragement. Handwritten notes that are given to encourage, not just for thanking someone for a gift, are rare. That makes handwritten notes even more special. Start a new practice of sitting down and writing an encouraging note on a regular basis. You just might start a positive wave of contagious kindness.
2.TREAT A FRIEND Take a friend out to lunch or invite them to your home for a meal. It will give you time to learn more about what is going on with them and deepen your connection. If you feel like being more adventurous, throw a party for several of your friends and put smiles on a multitude of faces.
3. SHARE A BOOK Give someone an inspirational book to read. You will feel good doing it, reading the book will change the person, and they will think of you every time they read it. Many times, we accumulate books after reading them and taking the notes of knowledge that we need. Passing on a book instead of letting it sit is a great way to inspire a smile.
4. PROVIDE A PARENTING BREAK Ask a friend or relative if you can take care of their kid(s) for a day or evening. If you have been a parent, you know the value of being able to have a few hours of "adult time" without worrying about the children. Don't wait to be asked to baby-sit when it is required. Offer to do it at a time when the parent can do something fun and relaxing.
5. GIVE A HELPING HAND Deliver a meal to someone you know that is sick or having a rough time. We have all been sick and know the last thing you want to do is be out of bed. So many people are struggling with just not feeling well in this season. Life can be tough and it is hard to do all of the daily chores. You can be a tremendous help by providing a surprise meal that can be enjoyed.
6. HELP A CHARITY Volunteer time to supporting your local church or charity. Every minute you dedicate to a church or charity will cause many smiles. You will put a smile on the face of each leader just for helping without being asked. You will also be putting smiles on the faces of those that are being helped through the organization.
7. EXPRESS GRATITUDE Thank everyone that supports you throughout the day. The list of those that you come in contact with is endless. Remember family and friends, business employees, co-workers, teachers, teachers, leaders, store employees, janitors, gas station attendants, those that deliver your mail and newspaper, and servers at restaurants. The power of expressing gratitude and appreciation warms the heart. A simple "thank you" has the ability to make someone's day, make them feel seen and heard and inspires them to do the same for someone else.
I know this is a list of 7 ways to put a smile on someone's face, but there is one more way that can't be ignored. Simply reveal a genuine smile to everyone you meet. You will experience how easy it is to get others to smile!